Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chiro/Eye Update

Yesterday Bug had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Anne. I called earlier in the day to see if Anne would be willing to see Carmen, too. I explained to Robin about the PRA diagnosis and she said “bring her in.”

Dr. Anne checked Carmen out first and gave her a nice tune up before testing to see if she is okay with the Ocuvite. I thought we would just be testing to see if she needed a liver supplement – It never crossed my mind that she might be allergic to the Ocuvite.

Anne tested her twice and she doesn’t feel Carmen will do well on it. She recommended Natrum Muriaticum (3-12c 2x/day) and Neurotrophin PMG from Standard Processes. She said she felt confident this would slow down the progress of Carmen’s PRA.

Buggie had a very nice tune-up. Nothing out of alignment.

This morning I decided to do some research on whole foods that provide ocular nutrition. I think adding a variety of whole foods to Carmen’s meals would be beneficial. I know my in-laws do not want to feed raw, so this would be cooked and solely to supplement her kibble.

She already receives salmon oil on a daily basis. Salmon oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower eye pressure and promote circulation of blood to the eye. Fish also contains taurine, which helps regenerate retinal tissues, and helps protect the eyes from ultraviolet radiation (source Vision Care News).

In addition to that I am going to recommend my in-laws supplement with foods rich in Vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential to proper functioning of the retina. It helps to prevent night blindness (the first symptom of PRA) by helping the eye to adapt between bright light and darkness (source Eye Care Source).

Foods very rich in Vitamin A that will be very easy to add to Carmen’s meals in a rotation are:

Beef liver
Chicken liver
Carrots
Sweet potatoes
Spinach

According to the National Eye Institute at the National Institutes of Health, studies suggest a link between lutein and decreased risk of eye disease. The highest concentration of lutein is found in spinach, kale, collard greens, mustard greens and other leafy green vegetables; broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and in some fruits, such as oranges and cantaloupe. Lutein also is present in egg yolk.

Easy to add:

Spinach
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts (fave of my boys)
Egg yolk

I also need talk to Anne about adding Bilberry to Carmen’s diet. Originally bilberry was recommended by someone on my Schnauzer list for liver health, but further research shows that it is actually known more as a vision supplement. During WWII RAF fighters took it to improve their night vision (first symptom of PRA)!

My thought is that a rotation of these foods added to Carmen’s kibble on a regular basis in conjunction with the homeopathic remedies recommended by Anne will help boost Carmie’s eye health (as much if not more than solely the Ocuvite). I also think it might be wise to have a blood panel done – to make sure that her liver levels are normal and do not fluctuate with the addition of the homeopathic remedies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always amaze me how much you do for your dogs, more than any other person I know.

I hope the new regimen works at slowing down the PRA. We went to someday come and see Carmen preform in person!

ann-and-partner said...

When Partner was sick you found help for me, fast!
With Carmen's eye problem you've found an amazing amount of information, fast!
If anything happens to me I'm having my family contact you, fast!!