Friday, November 12, 2010

Ticks!!

Now that we live in the “woods” I am finding oh-so-many more ticks on my dogs. Holy cow! It is ridiculous. BugOff Garlic might be putting a dent in them, but over the past two weeks I have found more ticks on my dogs than I have in the entire past year. Yuck!

What is odd/interesting is I am finding deer ticks on Ike (the smaller dog) and dog ticks on Bug (the larger dog).

Over the summer my vet gave me one of the “Ticked Off” tick removers. I just started using it and I am amazed by how well it works. It doesn’t work that well on smaller ticks but it works like a charm on the larger ticks.

Bug can be persnickety about having ticks removed. He thinks it is going to turn into having his nails done or something. With the Ticked Off scoop he is much more relaxed!

7 comments:

Dexter said...

There appears to have been a regular tick explosion in the past few weeks. I had been pulling several a day off Dexter and I finally gave in and put Frontline on both boys. Given that Mango has already had lyme twice, I didn't want to risk it.

Mango Momma

Nancy and Stewie JRT said...

I am still finding them on the dogs too, and my daughter had one of her after walking in the conservation land last week, yuck!!

Enjoy your new house!
Nancy

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I can not imagine what I would do....with five really long haired dogs, those ticks would be so hard to find and they are so scary with the diseases.....What is the purpose of ticks....those are one thing it is really hard to see where they are necessary in the whole ecosystem

Sara said...

I have the same problem here. I'm hoping the freezing temps at night kill them off soon.

Jules said...

It is awful. I hope it gets too cold for them soon!!

Taryn said...

That's weird because down here in VA, I haven't seen any ticks on my guys since early September. In the spring there were thousands....

I truly despise those insects! It seems every single one of them carries a disease!

John Heffernan said...

We have had a lot the last few weeks after not having any for a long time. None in the last week or so though. We use the tick tool too. Works great.