Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lyme yet again....

Bug had his annual exam last week. We titered for rabies, distemper, and parvo. I wanted to titer for rabies because Bug has been acting incredibly spooky as of late (beginning about the last week of November). I don’t want to vaccinate him, or I would prefer not to vaccinate him at full dose, if his titer is sufficient given how weird he is acting.

Spooky = very wary of sudden movements and items being moved near him. I guess a better descriptor would be to say he is acting extraordinarily skittish ….everywhere….in the house, at herding, on walks. He is also being hesitant about tugging - one of his favorite activities.

Since he is acting so spooky/skittish Dr. H suggested a follow-up C6 to test his level of Lyme infection. Last December we did a six month follow-up C6 and his levels had dropped from 424 to 138 (after treating with doxy – his 1st treatment). That was a huge difference. However, it is now a year out and his C6 came back at 86.

I am really depressed about the results. He’s been acting really odd lately or I don’t know if I would treat allopathically. I am extremely torn and I guess I still haven’t really made a final decision about treatment. I am picking up the doxy tomorrow. A large part of me thinks I should make a new patient appointment for him with Dr. F (CVH). I really feel the doxy pushes the disease deeper, at the same time I know it can be an extremely effective treatment. Bug could have easily been reinfected given the amount of ticks I saw late this year.

Given his recent behavior I definitely consider him symptomatic. Argh. I hate ticks.

12 comments:

Diana said...

I probably should mind my own business but I have to say if it was me, Id treat with the doxy. I have a friend who had lyme disease and it took them a long time to figure it out. By the time they did, she was in a wheelchair. She needed IV Abx for months. She did recover and is fine now. Well, thats my two cents. I hope Bug feels better soon.

Jules said...

Thanks, Diana. It is a nasty disease. I feel like neither of my guys can seem to shake it.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

WOW, I feel for you and Bug, that is just such nasty stuff, and I was afraid of ticks before reading all that Bug has been through but gosh now I just am really terrified of the buggers! So glad Bug has you looking out for him ;-(.

Taryn said...

Lyme surely does suck! The doxy does seem to do the trick for both Wilson and me!

Just curious....What do you feed your guys?

Jules said...

Hi Taryn, I feed raw. I do a combination of pre-packaged raw, duck necks/bones, etc.

I supplement also. I am open to thoughts. I do really believe raw is the best but I am so frustrated.

Taryn said...

Yea, I kind of guessed you would be feeding raw, so I can't think of much you can improve nutritionally. I feed the same as you, a combo of pre-packaged and other raw scraps. I rotate through a few brands to vary the nutrients, plus raw tripe on the weekends. I supplement with cold-pressed salmon oil and a supplement called Longevity.

Both boys have Erlichia, Wilson has Lyme, and both had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever over the summer (and so did I!). The RMSF is now a none issue as they are immune, but Erlichia is forever. I keep a close watch on them and test quarterly to be sure there are no flare-ups. I definitely feel your pain when it comes to the tick related crap. The only other choice is to stay indoors 24/7 and then only take sidewalk walks. I refuse to give up the great outdoors!

Jules said...

I rotate brands as well with the same thought/hope - that I'll be providing even better balance.

Given all you and your dogs have had to deal with in terms of TBDs. I will consider us lucky. Have you had any recurrences of the Lyme? Also did you treat for 4 or 8 weeks? the tick list I am on really believes that treating for 8 weeks prevents relapse. I have yet to be able to convince my vet to give me a script for that amount.

It is so frustrating and I agree - I refuse to give up the woods!

Taryn said...

My doctor treated me for 3 weeks each time Lyme was diagnosed, and for 30 days for the RMSF.

Wilson got 30 days of doxy for his Lyme, 30 for Erlichia (Jimmy too), and nothing for RMSF as it seems to resolve itself in adult dogs.

Interestingly, their pills and mine were EXACTLY the same! Same size, same blue capsule, and the exact same mg. dosage. So really the dogs were getting a much stronger dose of doxy considering their much lower body weight.

I've tested positive for Lyme the past 3 summers. It's hard to know if it is the original infection flaring up or a new infection as I always end up with several tick bites each season. I can always tell when I need to get tested as it always manifests in the same way....sore knees and pain where my neck and shoulders meet.

Sara said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I've had some bad experiences with antibiotics lately, so I understand your hesitancy. However, if I got another bulls eye rash, I'd be calling my Dr. for some.

Lyme is a horrible disease.

Sarah said...

yikes, i hope all will be ok. i HATE ticks too. why do they even need to be on earth?

teri said...

poor Bug! I hate ticks too.

Red Dog Mom said...

I'd treat it in the most aggressive manner possible. Michele N. just lost her boy, Jester, to renal failure. The thought is it was caused by Lyme. He tested positive several times but was asymptomatic. At the time, the protocol was not to treat asymptomatic dogs. Bad call. She, Jeff and Jester went through hell the last few months.