Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rally Class and Monty

Today Bug and I had a lesson with Katrin. We are entered in a Show n Go on May 21st and Katrin is going to be away for the next two weeks, so we went over all of the more complicated Novice signs. Bug did an awesome job. Katrin gave me lots of helpful tips, like dropping my shoulder during the serpentine or my footwork during the down/sit walk around your dog. It is amazing what subtle tweaking does!

I have a lot of work to do on my body mechanics and muscle memory. For one, I seem to think my right foot is my left foot and often lead with it on heeling.

We were practicing Halt, 1 step, Halt, 2 steps, Halt, 3 steps when the neighbors' dogs started barking and then another neighbor and her dog came out and some sort of power tool started whirring. Guess what? Bug was more distracted but he never ever checked out. He totally worked through it! He's such a good boy.

We left Katrin's house with a special package - the Monty! Monty is staying with me for the next 2 - 3 weeks while Katrin is away. I am very excited. Monty is the reason I have a Cardigan. He stayed with me before I had Bug and John and I fell in love with him - as did everyone else. We saw my in-laws this afternoon and they said, "No offense to Bug, but Monty is just so cute." People just eat the Monty up. John reiterated he really wants a black corgi next time and it *has* to be a boy (I think a girl would be a much better fit in our house).

I took the two corgi boys to John's opening day softball game. They are now exhausted! It is tough to watch all those guys run around and balls being thrown so quickly without reacting in true corgi fashion. Needless to say they were excellent boys, but we did have to move from our initial seat, the bleachers by home plate, which were WAY too stimulating!

4 comments:

Katrin said...

Thanks again so much for puppy sitting my corgi!! I know he will have an awesome time! :-)

Brenda said...

Sounds like it was a great lesson for you and Bug! Have fun with Monty!

Sara said...

Can't wait to hear about the show n go! Ihope you get some video, I'd love to see you guys doing rally.

Natasha said...

Have fun at that show n go! Sounds like you've been working hard!