Sunday, August 14, 2011

Coursing Ability Test

Today Bug and I took part in a AKC sanctioned Coursing Ability Test hosted by the Empire Saluki Club. This is lure coursing, where the dogs individually chase a lure (plastic bags in this case) that is on an electric powered drag lure machine.

The course is 600 yards for large dogs, and 300 yards for short dogs. If your dog has never done it before you are allowed to run with your dog for up to 10 steps to help kick them into gear. Some dogs that aren't sight hounds have trouble leaving their humans.

I had no idea what to expect. I hoped Bug would enjoy it as he is prey driven with small critters and adores chasing chipmunks.

When I took his leash off, when the field secretary said "Tally Ho" (the signal to start), he did not know what to do. I started to run and off he went! It was AWESOME to see him "turn on." It is just like with sheep - you see the little light bulb over their head when they realize, "Hey, this is fun!"

Bug was really fast and his tail was moving the entire time. The test is Pass/Fail and Bug passed! Which means he earned his first Qualifying leg (of 3) towards his Coursing Ability title.

If Bug is not overly sore as the day goes on I think I will pursue his CA with him. He had a BLAST.

We watched a few runs before his turn and he was all eyes and ears. There was some barking, but he didn't really know what was up. After his turn, when he saw the lure being moved into position for the next run he was wild! He wanted to run again!

John videoed our run. Unfortunately the Flip does not have a digital zoom, so the quality kind of sucks. You'll get the idea though.



 Bug before his run - he didn't realize the fun in store for him!

 All the Qualifiers!

Me and Bug with Judge Elaine Johnston (and the lures!)

11 comments:

K-Koira said...

Congrats on earning the first leg! I've seen a lot of dogs start with coursing with the local club, and its so much fun to see the moment when the light bulb flicks on and they realize they are allowed to chase this lure, and it is SO MUCH FUN.

Diana said...

Congrats. I cant beleive he didnt try to get the bags when his run was over. I guess it isnt fun if its not moving. LOL

Taryn said...

That was great! How far did he run? Is a Cardi considered a big or small dog?

The local CWCCC had their quarterly meeting today and did a lure coursing demo. Alas I couldn't go. I KNOW my guys would love it. They chase anything that moves!

Boondocks Love Shack Pack said...

Dawgs, that looks like awesome fun!! Great way to bond too.

We just sniffed over. Enjoyed our visit!

AROOOOF!
Boondocks and The Love Shack Pack
www.theloveshackpack.com

Jules said...

@ Taryn - Corgis are considered small dogs and run 300 yards. I believe it is height based though because the three Shelties that ran all had to run the 600 yard course.

K-Koira said...

Dogs over 12" run 600 yards, dogs under run 300. Except brachy dogs, which run 300 no matter their height.

Taryn said...

Ok, then the next question would be: Did they measure you at the trial? As they would at an agility trial? With that wicket or whatever it is called....

Wilson is 13 inches, Jimmy 12, so then Wilson would have to run the longer course, Jimmy not....doesn't seem very fair.....

Jules said...

Thanks, K-Koira.

Taryn, I did not see them measure the Shelties - so I am not sure if it was at her request they moved them up to 600 yds or because they thought they were taller than 12". They did not measure Bug (he's 11.5" at the withers). You do have to do a down and back to prove your dog is not lame in order to compete.

101mutts said...

Awww, the video brings up memories of Opal and Tom doing lure coursing. I'm surprised Bug didn't grab the bag at the end being a herding dog. Tom went right for it and wouldn't let go.

And it was at my school. I heard it was particularly overgrown this summer.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

ALL RIGHT that looks like Bug had such fun!

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

Congrats! The video of Bug is too darn cute. I will definitely attend these in the future -- I forgot that Danielle told me the date, and entered an agility trial that weekend. I dunno if Strata would go for it without "da mama", but the Springers would do it in a heartbeat!