Sunday, January 8, 2012

Foundation Competition Obedience and Rally

Yesterday Irie started a foundation competition obedience and rally class. There are two other dogs in the class and they are both fairly young, too. There is an 8 month old terrier and a 1 year old Berner.

Irie was very vocal when we first got there, but she settled down fairly quickly. The first thing we worked on was heel position against a fence. Have 5 treats in your hand, click and treat your dog in the correct position, heel out of it. Irie is not pressure sensitive at all and did a great job with this.

Next we did some "Choose to Heel" and I was very please with how she did since we were outside in a yard that sees a variety of dogs.

We finished with some perch work. At home I use a dictionary, but I would like something I can bring with me to class and use in different location. Last night I went to target to see if they had any small stools that might work They did not, but they did have yoga bricks! I bought a cork yoga brick and I think this will be the perfect size for Ms. Irie. And, since it is cork it is not slippery!

We both had a good time and I am looking forward to practicing and seeing where this takes us. :)

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Sounds like Irie is doing great! :)

K-Koira said...

Sounds like a really good start, and a class that will be really fun.