A couple of the e-mail lists I am on included this link from National Geographic for a "chocolate chart." It is an interactive chart that allows you to select your pet's weight and then see the amount of different types of chocolate your dog would need to ingest to become ill, seriously ill, or gods forbid die.
I know one person, from my shelter days, who's dog got into a wrapped package of dark chocolate under the Christmas tree. The dog proceeded to be violently ill, having seizures and losing bodily control before passing away. That is not something I would wish on anyone or anydog.
This chart is definitely worth taking a look at and e-mailing to friends and family who have new (or first) dogs in their lives - especially as we head into the season where sweets abound.
3 weeks ago